Olivier Delouis (CNRS/Maison Française d'Oxford)
Çiçek Dereli (Central European University)
The monastery of St John the Forerunner of Studios/Imrahor İlyas Bey Camii, located in the Samatya district of modern Istanbul, has played a key role in Byzantine history. Over the course of sixteen centuries, the building has accumulated and embraced all socio-cultural, religious and political layers, serving as a Roman villa, a monastery, an Islamic religious complex, an archaeological excavation area, a crossroads for researchers, travellers and enthusiasts, a ruin, a workshop, a heritage site and a monument. Its only architectural remnant is its 5th-century church, which has, however, never been the subject of a full archaeological and architectural study. Today, access to the site is restricted, awaiting its planned transformation into a mosque.
The two speakers will combine two approaches to the site. On the one hand they will examine ancient sources and archaeological surveys, building on research done by the late Cyril Mango and the late Urs Peschlow in the 1970s. On the other hand, they will investigate the site as a living body, constantly changing and transforming. In so doing, they will draw a portrait of a lieu de mémoire, alternately shared, disassociated and forgotten.
You can either attend this event on-site at the Maison Française or online.
To attend online, please register here: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMvdeCsqjgqHdfDTqTJsNO0dAmAPu05tyly
The Late Antique and Byzantine Archaeology Seminar is convened by Ine Jacobs (University College) and Ida Toth (Wolfson College)
Image: Stoudios Narthex by Texier ca 1820 © Institut de France